Monday, February 2, 2009

Sometimes It's Best To Hide Away

I was shuffling along the streets of downtown Seattle, lost in thought and, except for the cracks in the sidewalk passing beneath my feet, unaware of the rest of the world. It's possible that I was sighing heavily and frequently, but I didn't think it was any reason to take notice of me. Perhaps it was enough, however, because suddenly I was being yelled at by a stranger on the street.

"Hey buddy!" he called. "Cheer up, will you? You're depressing the hell out of me!"

Ugh. I didn't realize I was having such an effect on others.

 

2 comments:

Sultan said...

I don't think you owe a duty to anyone else to act cheerful. On the other hand our societal norms promote the idea that you should not bother strangers.

Seeking Serenity said...

mmm ya, I had that happen to me once...
I truly hope things get better for you friend.