Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mixed Feelings

Half of the time, I wish I were loved by someone who was worth loving back.

The other half of the time, I don't feel that I'm worth loving.

As someone who is observant of the nuances of language, you might notice that my own self-worth is non-existent in both of the statements above. There's only a faint hope for someone else's worth. The first statement seems to imply some self-worth, but it doesn't. What it implies is a wish for a better world.

If I were to rephrase these statements, I might say something like this: I don't deserve what I have, and no one else does either. But maybe there's someone who would.

 

6 comments:

Sultan said...

Self assessment is usually wrong.

Mei said...

It pains me to see my friend speak of himself in such a manner. You should believe, rather, what Loach has told you.

In all of our conversations I have never come to think of you in such a way. You are caring of other people and deserve only the same in return.

Zeri Kyd said...

Laoch, you're probably right, but I wanted to jot down my mode of thinking, if only to understand it.

Mei Lian, ah, I'm sorry to write such things at times. I know I should avoid it.

On a happier note, I'm glad to have you stop by here! It's like old times, now.

Mei said...

Though I may disappear at times or even marry, I will not leave my friend. You must accept I am permanent. ;)

Zeri Kyd said...

Thanks for that, Mei Lian. I'll gladly accept!

Hazel Eyed Girl said...

I don't know, maybe it's the state of mind I've been in myself but I can completely relate with that statement...