Friday, March 9, 2012

Let Go

There is a mindset, I've noticed, that affects people of a certain age. There is a reluctance to cut off connections to others. A reluctance to press delete, trash memories, or start over. There is a tendency to hold tight to the good things, however dainty they may be. A tendency to treasure the safety net, cling to what's already there, and settle. This is a mindset of fear. It's the easy road.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm there, too, along with the rest who've been affected. Other times, I wonder which is more difficult: holding tight or letting go. And I don't always know.

Certainly it's no simple thing to build something in life; it's much simpler to destroy it all. But the question is: why? Why am I continuing to build? Or why am I throwing it away? Is what I'm doing worth it to me? Could it be? Am I wasting my life away by doing this?

As if determining what's right for me comes down to asking the right questions. Or perhaps I figure that if I stay on a certain road long enough, then I'll forget that there were other turns, other options, and unanswered questions.

What I do know is that I don't want to live my life ignoring fears. I want to face them. And if what I'm doing is mostly out of fear for the alternatives, then it probably isn't right.

I want to hold on to the good things, of course. I just want those things to be worthwhile. I'll still be afraid, but it'll be the kind of fear that translates into courage, the kind that makes me proud. I won't be holding on because I'm afraid of something else, but because this is what I want.

And if that's not how it is, then I should just let go.

 

2 comments:

Seeking Serenity said...

Everyone is faced with this but only the brave take up their sword and shield and step forward...eyes ahead, knowing that they can only take what they learn from the past and use it in the present to build upon. The future is unknown but guarantied to have mistakes from choices.
It is so hard to accept the 'stupid' choices I have made, but without them I would not be so strong. People do not understand why we choose to be courageous,but it it is because like you said- it
creates strength you can be proud of.

Zeri Kyd said...

Jade, I agree. Moving forward can require a lot of strength, often because staying rooted to the same spot seems like the most secure thing to do.